Friday 4 May 2012

Death Grips: The Money Store


The first time I heard California outfit Death Grips was some time last year, and I turned it off after 30 seconds claiming it was “just noise”. Lucky for me I gave the 2011 mixtape ‘Ex-Military’ another chance, and I quickly realised that I was wrong. Stefan Burnett and the boys are actually making real songs with real hooks that are buried beneath a mountain of tortured noises like the sweet chocolatey bottom to a Cornetto. Death Grips’ debut album ‘The Money Store’ showcases this all, whilst at the same time still managing to sound like they just don’t give a fuck what we all think.

As an angry 14 year old I turned to Blink 182 as my saviour, 8 years on and I can’t help but think how different my outlook on adult life would be if I had Death Grips to turn to back in 2004. I don’t know why Stefan Burnett is so angry, I’m not even entirely sure what he is saying most of the time, but I can't help but feel like it must be something really important, why else would he be making such a fuss? Whatever he’s saying, it makes me want to listen.

Angry electro/hip-hop/grunge may well not be your bag, but who doesn’t like catchy noise to sing along with to make you feel like you’re involved with some kind of protest. I know I do.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment