Thursday 3 May 2012

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier


Doug Larson once said that life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if vegetables smelled as good as bacon. If all beer smelt like bacon, however, we would all be drunk a lot more of the time.

Luckily for the human race, Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier isn’t consumed as regularly as bacon is, but after one sip of this beer I immediately questioned why. I’ve always enjoyed the smokey flavour of Bavarian smoked cheese or smoked mackerel, and since the age of 16 I’ve loved drinking beer, so the day I discovered the two so perfectly combined was a very happy day.

My first instinct when drinking this beer and getting slapped in the face with a huge smoked cheese flavour was to drink some more, and it only got better as the pint went on. I don’t know why it got better, I think it was something to do with the smokey smell in the glass getting stronger as the glass got emptier, but if I could have jumped in and swam in it, I would.

There is only so much I can emphasise how intense the flavours in this beer are, so if you’re partial to a dark beer and/or smokey meat, and you’re ready to incorporate the two, get yourself down to your local booze bin and demand they order you some Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier in.

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment